ARES M110 Project (Part 2): Setbacks and Fixes

FullSizeRender

 

I didn’t play this past weekend, but I did get the chance to get out to the field and try out some AEGs in preparation for an upcoming sim. With a mixture of trepidation and anticipation, I brought out the M110, loaded a mag, connected a battery, and pulled the trigger.

It cycled fine. It didn’t shoot, though.

More on my fix and the ridiculous source of the problem after the break.

The M110 cycled fine (and I must admit the pull was extra snappy, so at least that worked out for me), but it only fed around one in every five trigger pulls, which was quite obviously no bueno. Closer inspection revealed this:

FullSizeRender copy

The nozzle was a little too far out over the feed tube of the magazine – it was actually visible when looking down the hop-up unit’s feed tube, as well. The super snappy trigger meant that there was no time for the nozzle to retract fully and actually allow a bb into the chamber, which led to the feeding problems.

Defeated for the moment, I packed the M110 away and got to testing my other AEGs (the newly R-hopped IAR impressed me with its range and groupings; the ERG did not). When I got home I broke the M110 open, paying particular attention to the tappet plate and the nozzle, as those were the likely culprits. I dug through my box of random internal parts and found an old (perhaps G&G?) V2 tappet plate for comparison, along with a King Arms V3 tappet plate Goggles gave me, and found the below:

FullSizeRender copy 2

top to bottom: King Arms V3. Ares “V2”. G&G V2.

What. The. Hell.

For some ridiculous reason, there was a V3 tappet plate in the V2 gearbox I ordered from Ares. I can think of two possibilities that may have led to this:

  1. In the process of moving everything from the V2 box I ordered into the old M110 gearbox shell, a V3 tappet plate somehow got mixed into my parts. I think this is highly unlikely considering a) I was working at a teammate’s house and no one else near me was working on internals and b) I sure as hell didn’t bring any spare tappet plates with me that day. Furthermore, there wasn’t a leftover V2 tappet plate lying around when I was done. I didn’t put much attention into the type of tappet plate I was installing; I was more concerned with just getting the thing cycling. The more likely explanation is:
  2. Ares put a V3 tappet plate into their “V2” box.

Now I don’t know if this is an Ares thing and they put V3 tappet plates into all their V2 boxes, or if the person assembling the box accidentally reached into the wrong pile of tappet plates… I have no idea. But suffice it to say my mind was boggled.

This also begs the question of why I was able to feed and fire the M110 when we were chronoing after initially assembling it. I’m at a loss as to how to explain that one. Airsoft ghosts? Yes. Let’s go with airsoft ghosts.

Anyway, I tossed the V2 tappet plate into the box and the result was this:

Much better.

Much better.

As you can see (forgive the dark picture) the nozzle now sits further back, actually all0wing room for the bb to feed into the chamber. I tossed a stronger fps spring in there as well, while I was at it, as the quick spring change feature made doing so a snap. The results were promising:

396fps, +/- 2-3, on 0.25g Tamashi BBs. Side note: I was quite impressed by these particular Tamashis when I ran them in my IAR. I'll be trying out the 0.30g batch on the weekend.

396fps, +/- 2-3, on 0.25g Tamashi BBs. Side note: I was quite impressed by these particular Tamashis when I ran them in my IAR. I’ll be trying out the 0.30g batch on the weekend.

So the problem seems to be solved for now. I fired off an entire 100 round mag and it fed and fired every shot. I’m hesitant about gaming it at the sim on Sunday as I want to go with a tried and tested AEG (and my IAR has been more than impressive lately) so I think it’ll have to wait a couple of weeks (and continued testing) before it sees any game time. I’ll definitely be bringing the M110 to the field to test, though, where I’ll hopefully not run into any other problems…

*knocks aggressively on wood*

 

Advertisements

One response to “ARES M110 Project (Part 2): Setbacks and Fixes

  • Goggles

    Just as an added precautionary measure, I’d put a Sorbo Pad in there so the Gearbox doesn’t crack. Helps the Piston and makes it quieter if that’s interesting to you.

    Just my two cents anyway.

Tell me your thoughts

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: